I discovered this drink a couple of years ago, and I wanted to share its amazing health benefits with you. I have been making it for my husband when he has a headache, and it has been really helpful! Now I have started drinking more of it myself – I’m enjoying a cup while writing this post 🙂
Majority of us love some sort of hot drinks – coffee, tea, green tea, herbal teas – especially now with the temperature outside decreasing…brrrr…. Winter is arriving, and with it our immune systems are challenged and have to work harder (because of the limited sun exposure we’re getting, consumption of less fresh fruit and vegetables etc.)
This drink that I wanted to write about is special because it provides SO MANY health benefits:
- boosts your immune system
- relieves congestion
- helps to fights cancer
- improves digestion
- reduces inflammation, so is a natural painkiller
Did you guess yet what I am talking about?? It’s nothing but the magical root – ginger!
Ginger is used in abundance in India, China, and has the status of a virtual medicine chest in Ayurveda. It can be found on millions of tables in Asia, in some shape or form. Let’s look at some of its benefits:
- Ginger improves the assimilation of nutrients in the body.
- It is very effective in eliminating gastro-intestinal distress, therefore it prevents motion sickness and nausea.
- Ginger contains very potent anti-inflammatory compounds called gingerols. This makes it a natural painkiller and an awesome remedy for arthritis, migraines, and other health problems and pains caused by inflammation in the body.
- Ginger boosts your immune system. It not only warms you up inside, but promotes healthy sweating – aside from the detoxification benefit, it was found that actually ‘good sweat’ contains a very potent germ-fighting agent that helps to fight off infections).
- Ginger helps to fight off cancer cells, due to its antioxidant, anti-inflammatory and anti-tumor effects.
One of the easiest way to consume ginger is to make a simple ginger tea – I like to combine it with a squeeze of lemon or lime, and a teaspoon of honey.
The lemon/lime juice not only “softens” the taste of the ginger, but provides some great benefits of its own:
- Natural body cleanser and detox agent.
- Improves digestion and can help losing weight.
- Provides you with lots of vitamin C (much better than getting it as a separate vitamin pill, combined with other synthetic chemicals).
- Prevents colds and flu by boosting your immune system.
- Alkalises the pH in your body. Disease such as cancer cannot survive in an alkaline body (a lot of the processed food that’s a big part of the western diet, including coffee, has an acidic effect on the body pH).
The recipe is then very simple:
Ginger Tea Recipe
- Grate or cut in small pieces about 1 tbsp of fresh ginger root per cup.
- Put in a cup or teapot and pour hot water over. Steep for 20 minutes.
- Put one slice of lemon or lime in the cup and crush it to squeeze all the juice out!
- Sweeten with unpasteurized honey or maple syrup, according to taste.
- Enjoy!! 🙂
You can also add peppermint leaves, as peppermint tends to work in synergy with ginger (complementing each other’s benefits).
If you enjoyed this post, share it with your friends and family so they too can learn about the amazing benefits of this simple drink that anyone can enjoy!